Monday, March 28, 2011

the Orthodoxy of Beans.











what do beans and Chesterton have in common?

Ok, so I only have 8 readers and at least 1/8 of you didn't believe me when I said rice and beans were tasty.  So that's one person.  And yet, to have 12.5 percent of my readers distrust everything I say from now on is just a chance I can't take this early in the game--this blog is a seedling. So, it is for you that I write this blog.  And, really, perhaps devoting a blog to you is not so silly, afterall.  I mean, Chesterton wrote Orthodoxy--an entire book-- in response to criticism on his book "Heretics."  Woah!  Did you feel that?? ...[wha..wha..wha..] What's that you say?...[wha wha wha wha]...Oh? Its Chesterton rolling over in his grave?  Ok.

Rice and beans have gotten a bad wrap for 2 reasons: 1) they are the symbol of poverty for Americans.  Every time I hear about someone's poor years they talk about eating rice and beans for every meal.  In fact, rice and beans might be the new "walked uphill, barefoot, in the snow, just to go to school." We don't want to feel impoverished or like we're suffering--especially if we're fancy.  And, yet, to be honest,  I think number 2 is the real reason: you're afraid of gas.  Go on.  Say it....."What's that you say?"...."Oh? "You don't have gas?".... "because fancy girls don't have gas?"....right, I knew that.  But let's be serious, you're afraid that you're going to eat rice and beans, go on your hot date, and explode--literally (I have a great/awesome/notawesome story about that, by the way).

Great news.  If you presoak the beans and cook them the entire way I doubt you'll have gas.  If you still have problems try adzuki beans.

Not only are they cheap (i.e. will help you redistribute money so you can buy your cab. and cheese), but they're really good for you, too.

Ok, enough with gas and Chesterton.

Here are some tasty recipes to try:

Tacos!
presoak 1/2 lb of black beans
cook beans and add 1/8 t cinnamon, 1/4 t salt, and cilantro
choose 4 of the following: cucumber, lettuce, salsa, tomato, cilantro, corn, rice, cheese, avocado, sour cream, lime, peaches

Red Beans and Rice (mmm.  sometimes I add kale sate'd with garlic and olive oil, then put the Rbeans ontop of it)
Mosoor Dal
Navy Beans and Eggplant Curry


Click here if you've never cooked beans from scratch


If you have a good recipe for beans rice, please post below.

1 comment:

Rachel Gerth said...

I love rice & beans! I use it as my "get rid of leftovers" dish.

What goes in: (anything I have leftover in my fridge that sounds good)what has gone in before
bacon, chicken, scallions or onions, tomato, corn, cilantro

Spices: cumin, chili powder, red pepper, black pepper, and a pinch of salt.

toppings: fried egg & if I have it avocado

If I want to get really fancy, I cook the rice in chicken broth

Post a Comment