Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Price of Purity--toxic free cleaning.

I'm coming clean.  I am a social-eco-freindly-ist.  I only recycle when I have company.  I refuse bags at the grocery store so the cashiers like me (and those reusable totes are so cute).  And when I must have a choice, I choose paper even though studies show that plastic is less toxic for the environment.  However, when it comes to the things I am breathing inside my house I always, always go the natural-green-eco-friendly-organic-enviromental-whateverwe'recallingitatthismoment route.  Unfortunately, as the ingredient list gets shorter, the price gets higher.  However, with a few cheap household items you can make your own organic cleaners and clean the way they did before chemists
made cleaning products.



Not only are organic products better for the environment and family, but they also smell good.
In the words of dear Coco, "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future."  Likewise, a house with no scent has no past worth remembering.  Every time I smell cranberries and cinnamon together I feel like I'm at home.  It was a mixture of my mom's cranberry and cinnamon candles and the Murphy's Oil soap she used to clean our wood floors.  With that said, choose your scent.  Go down to your local, organic grocery and choose the essential oil that fits your house and season.  Think of it as an investment.  This will be the most expensive thing you'll buy for these cleaners.  Right now mine is Lavender and Hops.  I'm also considering tangerine, verbena, cyprus, bergamot, or cinnamon.

Every day cleaner for countertops, linoleum, and windows
Mix the following in an empty spray bottle (Home Depot has one for 89 cents):
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 cups water
15-30 drops of your essential oil

At first when you spray this it will smell like vinegar.  However, as it dries the vinegar smell will go away and the scent of your oil will remain.



Tough Cleaner
You can also make a baking soda paste by mixing the baking soda, water, and your oil.  Then scrub with the paste and wash off with water.


If this doesn't work, sprinkle the tub with baking soda, then pour white vinegar on top of the baking soda.  Let it fizz.  Then scrub with a brush or sponge.  After the grime is gone, clean it with your every day cleaner.



For Furniture
1 t olive oil
1/4 c. lemon juice or vinegar

To clean dark Hardwood
Brew your favorite black tea.  (use 5 teabags to 2 quarts of water--let is steep for 5-10 minutes).  Let the tea come to room temp, then mop the floors.  The tannins in the tea will make your floors shiny, the oils will moisturize your floors.

click here for other recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment