Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Entertaining on a Budget: Ethnic Eating, part 1


When it is possible, I like to enjoy as many of my favorite things as I possibly can at one time. Really, why take just a bubble bath when you can take a bubble bath with Cabernet, Voluspa candles, lavender oil, salts, Erik Satie (the music, not the man), and my bath time book of choice, Pride and Prejudice. Furthermore, I've read Pride and Prejudice so many times that I don't even bother with the entire book anymore.  I merely choose my favorite parts and read them to my delight and at my leisure.  Then I soak, detox, and enjoy.

So, in the spirit of enjoying everything at once, I present to you, traveling, entertaining, and spending as little money as possible.  Unfortunately, we are going to travel in our kitchens, but if we spend a small amount of money doing it, then we can put more in our actual travel fund.  Greece, here I come.

Try these ethnic desserts and impress your guests, while spending 3-7 dollars:

1. Turkish Sutlac
2. French Petit Choux (this recipe does have not the filling recipe, but it's a good choux recipe--you can fill them with any kind of cream or custard--whipped cream is the easiest.)
3. Ukrainian Vareniki 
4. Polish Paczki 
5. Thai Mango Sticky Rice (Khao Niaow Ma Muang)
6. Japanese Daifuku 
7. Spanish Churros 
8. Mexican Flan
9. Norwegian Pannekakes 
10. Indonesian Burbur Ketan Hitam 

2 comments:

Mema & Sha Sha Kitten said...

I Love your blog and I will have to try some of your recipes.Your an inspiring Fancy Girl.I think I better update my blogs, but first your post has led me to watch P&P for the upteenth time or maybe Persuasion.

Crystal said...

Thank you for the kind words! I'm so glad you enjoy it! Isn't P&P the best?

Post a Comment