|Buying Kombucha vs. Making It: being fancy and poor isn't all glamour.|
filtered water (don't use distilled), 4 tea bags (either black or green tea. No herbal teas, ladies), a giant pickle jar (if you don't want to spend the $5 on a jar, go down to your local deli and ask them for one of their left over jars), cheese cloth, 1 cup of sugar, 1 c. kombucha, and a SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast).
1. Place tea and sugar into a separate bowl. Pour 1 quart of boiling water over tea bags and sugar and let sit until room temp.
2. Pour tea/sugar/water into your giant pickle jar
3. Pour 2-3 more quarts of water into the mixture
4. Pour in 1 c. of kombucha and place your SCOBY on the top with the dark side facing down.
5. Cover with cheese cloth and allow to sit, untampered.
6. Your kombucha will be finished when it is fizzy (5- 10 days).
7. Bottle and refrigerate.
8. Drink 1 cup every day. You can also mix kombucha with your favorite fruit juice (I mix mine with lemon juice)
Ok, now for the fun part. I have in my possession an extra SCOBY, which I will give to one lucky lady. I want to hear about a fancy poor moment you had this week. I'll draw a name at random from the comments below.